If you have a garden and a pet, you need to be aware of some common garden dangers they may encounter. Your pets need to be protected from these dangers lest they fall ill.
You can do several things to protect your pet in the garden; below mentioned are some of the most important things that you must do:
- Most rat bait substances contain a chemical known as warfarin-like compounds (anti-coagulants). This substance can slowly kill a pet. Rat bait should be placed where cats/dogs cannot reach. You can also switch to other methods of pest control that do not pose any harm to your pet. If they do ingest such a substance immediately take your pet to the veterinarian. Similarly, snail/slug baits should also be treated with care. Never leave your pet unsupervised when they are in the garden if you think there may be dangers like these.
- Many plants are poisonous to pets like some lilies, including Tiger lilies, Japanese show lilies, Easter lilies, and Daylilies. Castor oil plants are also very toxic for pets.
- Various berries (like karaka berries) are also something that your pet should be kept away from. Talk to your vet before taking your pet to the garden, where they may have access to many plants.
- Many plants in the garden drop fruit stones/seeds/berries. Even if they’re not toxic, iIngestion of fruit stones/seeds causes a severe blockage in the intestine, leading to fatality. Remove any such plants and roots to avoid the pet’s chances of ingesting their droppings.
- Fertilizer is another concerning thing in the garden. Fertilizer contains nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus. Any form of fertilizer, liquid/solid/granular, is harmful to your pets. Because fertilizer is a different chemical constituency, the reaction post-consumption can differ. It can range from mild gastrointestinal problems, including vomiting, diarrhea, and pets can become lazy. If the symptoms are mild, these issues disappear after 24 to 48 hours. In comparison, highly toxic fertilizer can cause the onset of seizures on consumption. In this kind of scenario, pets need immediate medical attention.
Sure your pets love your garden, but they need to be under supervision unl;ess you’re 100% certain they are safe there.
If you have made it this far, you love your pet enormously. When you love them so much, start looking for cheap pet insurance to further protect their health. Pets are a precious part of the family; getting insurance coverage for pets is a smart move. In an unfortunate situation, having top rated pet insurance to fall back on is always beneficial. Because a pet owner’s head is not filled with monetary worries around getting quality medical treatment for their pet, they can focus their entire time and energy on the pet’s recovery process. Top rated pet insurance provides extensive coverage, which can be a little pricey, but the love for the pet makes it entirely worth it. If you don’t have one insurance coverage, it is an excellent time to look for cheap pet insurance.